Poison Holidays

I got the poison, I got the poison
I got the poison, I got the poison

The Prodigy

 

Hi blog.

As summer draws to a close, I’d just like to take a moment to reflect over the summer holidays.  On a nature front, news over the last 42 days has been dominated by either typhoons –  some both very slow moving and destructive –  or news reports following poisonous or venomous wildlife.

The continuing saga of the fire ants gave the media plenty to talk about even when there were no new developments.  And when that finally ran out of steam, they resorted to warning us about regulars such as hornets and less common venomous denizens such as the red stingray.  (A dead specimen washed up on the beach we were playing on in Chiba)

A dead red stingray which washed up soon after we left the water.

A story that didn’t make the mainstream English language news was the one about a group of men in Nagoya having a barbeque in a park who decided to cook and eat some mushrooms they found growing in a grassy patch.  It turns out that the mushrooms were Chlorophyllum molybdites, or false parasol, but which also has the common name vomiter – not by accident.  Within an hour, all three men were suffering from diarrhea, and needed to be hospitalised for several days.

But the one that did make the English press was a snake story, one that involves the tiger keelback.

From the Japan Times:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/07/31/national/hyogo-boy-10-passes-bitten-venomous-snake/#.WaaiBchJbIU

Hyogo boy, 10, passes out after being bitten by a venomous snake

KYODO

 JUL 31, 2017

A 10-year-old boy in Hyogo Prefecture lost consciousness after being bitten by a venomous snake Saturday, police said.

The boy, a resident of Itami, was with a friend on a path to a temple in neighboring Takarazuka when he was bitten on the wrist by what appeared to be a tiger keelback, the police said Monday.

After returning home, the boy’s mother called an ambulance a few hours later because the bleeding wouldn’t stop and he complained of having a headache. After arriving at the hospital, he passed out but later regained consciousness.

His symptoms suggest the snake was a tiger keelback, the police said.

The snake was captured by the boy’s friend and handed over to the police.

Article ends.

Stay safe.

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Suburban wildlife and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Poison Holidays

  1. Goodness what a testing summer! All those nasties lurking about – nature balancing it’s tricks on unsuspecting innocents! The account of the 10 year boy being bitten by a venomous snake – and a tiger keelback sounds ferocious – all kudos to the friend who captured the snake for identification!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: